Sharpen Your Study Time Observation Skills
Setting the Stage
- Complete projects and assignments.
- Bring the right materials.
- Prepare an uninterrupted study pace.
- Conduct a short pre-class review.
- Participate in class activities.
- Relate the class to your goals.
- Think critically about what you read.
- Be alert to repetition.
- Watch for introductory, concluding, and transition words and phrases.
- Note the instructor's style. Highlight the obvious clues. Notice the instructor's interest level.
Note Taking Process
- Write notes in outline form or paragraphs.
- Use key words, pictures and diagrams.
- Copy material from visual.
- Use a three-ring binder and write on only one side of paper.
- Use 3x5 cards for review.
- Keep your own thoughts separate.
- Label, number, and date all notes.
- Use standard abbreviations.
- Use blank space.
- Use graphic signals.
- Use complete sentences when material is important.
- Take notes in different colors.
- Review your notes within 24 hours.
- Edit notes, rewrite to make them neater