Study Skills to Help You Succeed
How to Plan Your Time
- Schedule fixed blocks of time first.
- Include time for errands.
- Schedule time for fun.
- Set realistic goals.
- Allow flexibility in your schedule.
- Study two hours for every hour in class.
- Avoid scheduling marathon study sessions.
- Set clear starting and stopping times.
- Plan for the unplanned. "If anything can go wrong, it will."
When to Study
- Study difficult (or boring) subjects first.
- Start tough assignments / big projects immediately.
- Be aware of your best time of day.
- Use waiting time.
Where to Study
- Use a regular study area.
- Study where you'll be alert.
- Use a library.
How to Handle the Rest of the World
- Pay attention to your attention.
- Agree with living mates about study time.
- Get off the phone.
- Learn to say no.
- Hang a "do not disturb" sign on your door.
- Get ready the night before.
- Call ahead.
- Avoid noise distractions.
- Examine old habits and eliminate the poor ones.
- Analyze why you are procrastinating, and then confront the problem.
Print out the following table. This is the beginning of time management and the consequent planning of your time. You need to know how you spend your time now. The best way to complete this table is to record all your time activities for a whole week, day by day. Of course, just filing it out at one sitting is not the best way and probably not the most accurate. Time Management Grid.